It’s been a while. I haven’t updated this blog in about a year, but I’ve been trying so many new recipes…and I just had to share this one — the results are pure deliciousness!
Pistachio Cranberry Icebox Sugar Cookies
1½ cups all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
1½ sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
½ cup white sugar
1½ Tablespoons fresh orange juice
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon Meyer lemon zest
½ cup shelled pistachio nuts
½ cup dried cranberries
1 large egg, slightly beaten
½ cup coarse decorating sugar
1. Sift together the flour and salt.
2. Using a mixer, combine the butter, sugar, vanilla, orange juice and zest over medium-high speed for 3 – 4 minutes, or until fluffy.
3. Gradually add the flour mixture and combine with your hands until the dough forms into clumps.
4. Add the pistachios and cranberries and continue to combine with your hands.
5. Gather and press the dough together, then divide into two pieces. Using a piece of plastic wrap, form each piece into a log about 1½ inches thick. Your “log” can be squared off or remain circular.
6. Leave dough covered in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
7. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
8. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or use Silpat non-stick baking mats.
9. Brush the sides of each bar with the beaten egg and sprinkle decorating sugar onto both pieces of dough. Press sugar lightly into the dough to ensure that it sticks.
10. Slice the dough into ⅓ inch-sized cookies and arrange on lined baking sheets about ½ inch apart.
11. Bake until edges of cookies brown slightly, 12-15 minutes, rotating baking sheets once during the baking process.
12. Let cool on wire racks.