Here’s a recipe for a cookie that’s good enough to eat any time of the day. Not that there’s a WRONG time to ever eat a cookie!
Apple Walnut Breakfast Cookies
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
1 large apple, peeled and grated (try to squeeze out some of the juice)
1 cup old fashioned oats
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat mat.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the applesauce, coconut oil, maple syrup and the grated apple.
3. In a separate bowl, stir together the oats, flour, baking powder, cinnamon and the salt. Mix the dry ingredients in with the wet ingredients until just combined. Stir in the chopped walnuts.
4. Scoop the batter in 1 1/2 tablespoons on the cookie sheet leaving a couple of inches between each cookie. Bake for about 10-13 minutes until lightly golden.
5. Allow to cook on a wire rack.